Wednesday, May 27, 2009

36 Weeks

Had another OB appointment today. Eddy's dad was awesome and took Isaac, so Eddy could come with me. Everything seems status quo, although we briefly considered another ultrasound, because there was some question if baby was in the head-down position. Blood pressure is good, weight's good. My belly is actually measuring smaller again, 32 weeks when it should be 36. Baby has dropped a little, so that may explain for some of the difference. I'm dilated to 1 cm and 50% effaced (whoopie. doesn't mean much!)and the doctor seemed more confident about the head-down position after he checked me. He also said that if we went into labor now, he wouldn't do anything to stop it. Agh! He asked if we have a bag packed--uh, no, we don't. And I suppose we should get the infant car seat out of my in-laws garage. Better put that on the to-do list!

We also talked more about going in to labor, when to go to the hospital, and when the doctor will be there and what his role is. A very good friend of mine, Jodi, has had two home births and is very seriously considering becoming a doula. Eddy and I have asked her to help us prepare for labor/delivery and, if the timing works out, to be with us at the hospital. We think that having someone who has experience with "going natural" aka, breathing and other comfort measures, helping us out would be great. I've also realized that nurses in the hospital have a lot to do (other patients, paperwork, etc) and may not be able to help us like we'd hope. And, even though we've been through this once before, it can be chaotic in the hospital and we're so emotionally invested, having an advocate be there for us is very intriguing. No matter what happens, I have spent so much more time learning about pregnancy, labor, and delivery, that I feel I am more prepared and at ease with what may or may not happen.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Good for you! My vote is to have Jodi come with you. Even though you are in the medical field, you're a patient at the time and in patient mode so to have someone else there to speak in your best interest would be awesome, and to have someone who knows what you want and to put their foot down for you. I'm sure all will go well. I'm actually planning for a home birth with the next kiddo. (whenever that happens!) I wish you happy thoughts with the natural stuff. You can do it!!!