Sunday, June 21, 2009

One Week as a Family of Four

Today is special for a couple of reasons. First, it's Father's Day. Happy Father's Day to my hubby, father, father-in-law and every other father we know! We have been a family of four for a week now, which makes Piper 7 days old already. On one hand, it seems like she's always been here, yet her arrival is so fresh in our minds.

We are adjusting. The euphoria of a new baby is gone and the reality is here! I think Eddy and I are showing our lack of sleep on our faces now. Piper has also found her voice, which seems much louder at night! Isaac has been a little rammy, but he has been very loving to his new sister. My heart melts when he (uncoached) gives Piper a kiss on her head.

Nursing hasn't come particularily easy and Piper seems to have a little difficulty latching correctly, so we saw the lactation consultant on Friday. She was 6 pounds 4 ounces, which is what she was when she left the hospital. I was discouraged, but the lactation consultant said she probably lost a couple more ounces and is now gaining weight back. We'll check back again early this week. We also brought her in for her first check up. Our doctor confirmed what we already know, she's perfect.

Here are some pictures from the past week.
Our first night home, Daddy with his kids

Piper in an outfit from Grandma Becky

Isaac helping give Piper her first bath

Piper out cold!

All the cousins on the Morgan side--Isaac, Piper, Elizabeth, Madilynn, Derek, and Evelyn

2 comments:

Katherine said...

I love the cousin picture, reminds me of when I was a kid with my cousins and watching all the parents trying to get us all to look at the camera together. That one isn't too bad, at least you can see everyone and there's some smiles!
Hope the nursing gets better for ya, I too struggled for a long time, but it did work out. I have to put a word out on the wonderful amazing life saver nipple shield. Used it for 4 months and loved it! Piper is absolutely beautiful. And your little man is oh so cute in that picture with dad.
Sleep deprivation is the pits, but somehow we all get through it, amazingly....Hoping you have some nice naps in the coming days.

Kelly K said...

Congrats to you and your family!