Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Home

Except for the one year I lived in Rochester, I have lived in Duluth for the past 15 years. Since becoming an adult, all of my important life events have been tied to Duluth.
I got my bachelors and Masters degrees here, met my husband here, and met women who have become my best friends here. Eddy and I bought our first (and second) house here and brought two babies home to those houses. Both of our careers started here. So in a nutshell, Duluth is home.

Earlier this spring, when Eddy told me that Concordia University Wisconsin contacted him about becoming their head baseball coach, I don't ever recall being so happy and sad all at the same time as I was then. It would be an amazing opportunity for him, one that we could not pass up. But also meant we would be leaving Duluth.

I was back in Duluth last week, and will be here again for the next two weeks as I finish my last days of working for Essentia Health. Before we moved, I was glad I would be coming back to Duluth to work. I thought it would make the transition easier by allowing me to slowly say goodbye. But as it turns out, it is making it harder for me to feel like our new house is home.

But my kids are helping. Three days ago Isaac and I played catch and then a competitive game of one-on-one baseball in our backyard. We had a great time and I loved watching him have fun. Later that night, we had our first Morgan family hot tub night. The kids were so excited! It was a fun way to have some good family time. At one point Piper came sat in my lap and gave me a big hug. Completely unprovoked she said, "thank you for coming home mommy".

And with that, my attitude is changing. Home is where my family is.


No comments: